20.8.0 Registration

Last Update:

Semester registration affirms courses in which students are officially enrolled after meeting financial obligations.

Full-time, matriculated students registering after the payment deadline will be liable for Late Registration Fees. Registration of full-time students will be allowed only until the end of the first three class days.

20.8.1 Good Academic Standing and Satisfactory Progress

Students permitted to re-register are considered to be making satisfactory progress in their chosen program and are in good academic standing.

20.8.2 Re-Registration/Academic Requirements

To register for the second or any subsequent semester, a full-time, matriculated, degree student must achieve the following standards or have the approval of the Dean of the School in which the student is registered.









Good Standing







Academic Jeopardy/Warning

1.25 - 1.49

1.5 - 1.74

1.75 - 1.99




Academic Recovery

0.5 - 1.24

0.75 - 1.49

1.50 - 1.74

1.50 - 1.99

1.65 - 1.99

1.75 - 1.99


0.0 - 0.49

0.0 - 0.74

0.0 - 1.29

0.0 - 1.49

0.0 - 1.64

0.0 - 1.74

Note: Imputed credit ~ Courses designated as remedial/developmental cannot be awarded academic credit, and therefore do not count toward overall GPA or earned hours toward a college degree. However imputed credits are included when determining a student’s academic status for their first semester only.

Note: Students in academic jeopardy/warning are considered to be maintaining minimum satisfactory academic progress and are eligible to re-register.

Note: Students on Academic Recovery have failed to achieve the minimum GPA but are allowed to re-register if they comply with the conditions specified in the Academic Recovery Contract. This program offers an opportunity for students to improve their academic standing.

Any student who is suspended from the College for academic reasons will have two options:

  1. Submit an academic appeal and detailed plan for success by the stated deadline, or;
  2. Complete a minimum of six credit hours and achieve a GPA of 2.0 or higher. Students are permitted to take these credits at SUNY Canton as a non-degree student or this coursework may be taken at another institution. Financial aid and campus housing are not available for SUNY Canton non-degree students. Students may then apply for readmission to SUNY Canton after one semester has passed via the Readmission Request Form in UCanWeb. Permission to re-register is not guaranteed and will be granted only after approval by the appropriate School Dean.

A student suspended for multiple violations of the Academic Integrity Policy will also be required to complete a minimum of six credit hours and achieve a GPA of 2.0 or higher. Students are permitted to take these credits at SUNY Canton as a non-degree student or this coursework may be taken at another institution. Financial aid and campus housing are not available for SUNY Canton non-degree students. Students may then apply for readmission to SUNY Canton after one semester has passed via the Readmission Request Form in UCanWeb. Permission to re-register is not guaranteed and will be granted only after approval by the appropriate School Dean.

Academic Recovery is a privilege and not a right. Students placed on academic recovery who fail to meet all requirements of the program may be immediately suspended. A student suspended mid-semester for violating Academic Recovery may appeal only if there are documented extenuating circumstances by emailing the Provost at provostoffice@canton.edu. The decision of the Provost is final.

Students suspended or expelled from the college for disciplinary reasons will receive grades earned for all courses completed.  Students who voluntarily withdraw from College will be permitted to re-register with the concurrent written approval of the Director of Admissions and the School Dean of the requested curriculum. Students who are suspended or expelled from SUNY Canton or any other college/university for behavioral matters are required to meet with the Admissions Review Board before a decision of admission will be made. Academic Forgiveness Policy

The intent of this policy is to allow students who previously accrued a SUNY Canton academic record with a substantial number of grades below the 1.00 level of D to be “forgiven” for their earlier performance, if they meet certain criteria.

Academic Forgiveness, in this context, means that the student’s previous college work will be treated as if it had been transferred to SUNY Canton from another college: none of the grades received would be counted in the current GPA, but the student would receive credit for any courses in which they earned a D or above. All General Education requirements completed during prior attendance would continue to count as requirements met, but only courses with a D or higher grade would be included in credits earned toward the degree, at the discretion of the School Dean.

Students wishing to apply for the privilege of Academic Forgiveness must meet the following criteria:

    1. The student must not have taken any coursework at SUNY Canton for a minimum of two calendar years at the time of proposed readmission.
    2. The student must complete the Academic Forgiveness Application Form at the time of application for readmission. The application will include a reflective summary of why they should be considered for the privilege.
    3. The student will not have attempted more than two semesters of coursework at SUNY Canton prior to readmission if enrolled in an associate degree program or more than four semesters of coursework if enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program. Students must complete at least one half of their degree requirement credits at SUNY Canton after forgiveness is granted.
    4. The student is not eligible to receive Academic Forgiveness until they have completed a full-time semester of at least 12 credit hours as a readmitted student. In this probationary semester, the student must receive at least a C in every course and is not permitted to withdraw from any courses.
    5. The student will be placed on Academic Recovery for this first semester after readmission.
    6. Upon completion of the semester of Academic Recovery, if all requirements for Academic Forgiveness have been met, the Dean of the School will notify the Registrar so that the student’s academic record may be modified.
    7. If approved for Academic Forgiveness, a notation to this effect will be made on the student’s SUNY Canton transcript, and a new cumulative GPA will be calculated for all work beginning with the semester of readmission. This new GPA will be printed on the official transcript and used for computing the student’s academic standing and for meeting the minimum GPA requirement for graduation. All previous SUNY Canton work will continue to be listed on the transcript with the original grades received.
    8. Academic Forgiveness may be granted only once in a student’s college career at SUNY Canton.
    9. Academic Forgiveness does not override state and federal financial aid regulations and satisfactory academic progress standards. Also, repeating courses previously passed may not count toward full-time enrollment for financial aid purposes. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office in the One Hop Shop for information on their aid eligibility if considering applying for Academic Forgiveness.

20.8.3 Cross Registration

Cross registration in the Associated Colleges (Clarkson, Potsdam, St. Lawrence, Canton) is defined as registration by, and is limited to, full-time matriculated undergraduate and graduate students. Cross registration permits access to courses not available on the student’s own campus. Exceptions to this policy may be made under unusual or extenuating circumstances. More information and forms can be found online on the Associated Colleges website. Questions should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.

  1. Cross registration is open to full-time, undergraduate and graduate students and staff members within the member institutions of the Associated Colleges of the St. Lawrence Valley: SUNY Canton, SUNY Potsdam, St. Lawrence University, and Clarkson University. Cross registration permits access to courses not available on the student’s own campus.
  2. Eligible persons may register for a maximum of two courses per academic year, totaling no more than 8 credits at campuses other than their own. Exceptions to this policy may be made under unusual or extenuating circumstances by the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs at the institution offering the course.
  3. After students have identified courses for which they wish to cross register, they must obtain the signed approval of their Academic Advisor or Academic Dean to ensure that the course satisfies the student’s program and credit-hour requirements.
  4. The completed form must be returned to the Registrar’s Office of the institution at which the student is officially enrolled or employed.
  5. Institutions in the Consortium schedule different starting and ending dates and vacations. The student is individually responsible for arranging to keep up with course work despite calendar disjunctions and, in some cases, must arrange for food and lodging when dormitories at the home campus are closed.
  6. All students taking a course on a campus other than their own must abide by all appropriate attendance regulations, honor systems, parking regulations, and the like at that institution.
  7. Cross registration cannot be used for non-credit courses. Summer and Winterterm courses are not eligible for cross registration.

20.8.4 Late Registration Fee

Should a student fail to register by the appropriate registration deadline date, a $50.00 non-refundable late registration fee will be assessed.

20.8.5 Declaring a Major or Change of Major Request Procedure for Students

Students declaring a major or requesting a change of major must meet re-registration requirements, and consult with the Program Director or School Dean into which admission is sought. The student should initiate the Declaring a Major/Change of Major Request form with the Program Director or School Dean. Students must declare a major prior to the third semester of full-time attendance. All contingencies affecting the change will be written on the form and signed by the student, the School Dean, and the student’s Advisor as appropriate.

All students requesting curriculum changes for the spring or fall will be officially notified of the curriculum change decision by the new School Dean after final grades are available. The new Dean will also notify the other offices involved.

If the student is considered a first-semester freshman for quota purposes, the Dean of the School into which the student is changing will notify the Admissions Office. The Admissions Office will reclassify the student as a Continuing Student provisionally admitted until final grades are available. After final grades are available, the Admissions Office will then notify the student as to their status. A $50 freshman deposit will be required of students who are considered a first-semester freshman.

20.8.6 Declaring an Academic Minor

A minor is a course sequence within an area of study providing a degree of specialization within that area, a specialty within a discipline, or a specialty integrating several disciplines. Minors will contain a balance of introductory and advanced coursework.

Minors are designed to be completed within the same time frame allowed for the completion of the baccalaureate or associates degree. After matriculating in a program, students wishing to obtain a minor shall contact the coordinator of the minor to initiate the process. A minor will consist of a minimum of 18 credit hours, at least 9 of which will be upper-division courses; a minimum of 12 credit hours of a minor must be completed in courses offered at SUNY Canton. At least 9 credit hours must not be required courses in the student’s major program.

Note: Before making that decision however, it is strongly recommended that students consult with a Financial Aid and/or Student Accounts Counselor.

20.8.7 Micro-Credentials

Micro-credentials are a collection of courses or competencies that verify, validate, and attest that one or more specific skills have been achieved through credit-bearing courses and/or non-credit activities. Micro-credentials differ from traditional degrees and certificates in that they are offered in shorter or more flexible time spans and are more narrowly focused than a traditional associate’s or bachelor’s degree. Micro-credentials may be offered within a discipline area or inter-disciplinarily. Students and outside community members who wish to obtain or to certify that they have completed a more focused study pertaining to a particular skill may obtain a micro-credential from SUNY Canton.

20.8.8 Catalog Year Policy

Major & Minor Degree Requirements and Catalog year

Majors: Students are enrolled into a catalog year based on the date of admission to their declared program. Students can keep this initial catalog year for up to five years for Certificate/Associate’s degree programs and up to seven years for Bachelor’s degree programs. After which the catalog year may be reset to the current catalog year.

Students who change majors or take a break in matriculation will be re-admitted to the current catalog year. If program requirements change while the student is enrolled, they have the right to continue to claim the requirements for the year that they were last admitted to the program. Exceptions may be approved by the academic Dean.

Minors: Students will follow the published requirements in place at the time they declare the minor, which may be different from the catalog year used for the major. If minor requirements change while the student is enrolled, the student may choose to complete established requirements or change to the new requirements. Exceptions may be approved by the academic Dean.

Back to Table of Contents