Classroom - This SUNY Canton degree can be earned in a traditional classroom setting.
100% Online - This SUNY Canton degree can be earned entirely online.
Business: Accounting - A.A.S.
- Public Management
- Government Accounting
- Internal Auditing
- Budget Analysis
- Financial & Investment Planning
- IT Consulting
- Limited Legal Services
- Real Experience - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Accountants help to ensure that the nation's firms run more efficiently, its public records kept more accurately, and its taxes paid properly and on time. They perform these vital functions by offering an increasingly wide array of business and accounting services to their clients.
Beyond the fundamental tasks of the occupation-preparing, analyzing, and verifying financial documents in order to provide information to clients, many accountants now are required to possess a wide range of knowledge and skills.
Accountants are used by virtually all organizations, including private business and industry, public accounting agencies, governmental bodies, tax preparation firms and financial management firms.
Students in this Major:
- Learn accounting theory, financial, managerial and cost accounting systems.
- Learn how accountants track, report, and interpret activity to allow for appropriate decisions by business, government, education, and individuals.
- Students have the opportunity to receive IRS approved training, to be certified in preparing taxes, and to volunteer through the only Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site in St. Lawrence County.
- Private business and industry
- Public accounting agencies
- Governmental accounting positions
- Tax preparation
- Financial management
Students with a degree in accounting are positioning themselves for career advancement and greater earning power. The accounting profession is committed to delivering a strong ethical foundation and a commitment to lifelong learning. The role of the accountant is ever changing and integral to any business entity.
Typical Jobs Upon Graduation:
- Staff Accountant
- Claims Adjustor
- Project Manager
- Credit Analyst
- Loan Specialist
- Account Clerk
- Tax Preparer
- Business Manager
Employers of SUNY Canton Graduates:
- St. Lawrence County
- Pinto, Mucenski & Watson PC
- United Helpers
- Home Depot
- Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center
- C. Rowe Accounting & Tax Preparation
- North Country Savings Bank
- SeaCom Credit Union
- Dragon Benware Crowley and Company PC
- Burlington Vermont School District Business Office
- SUNY Canton, SUNY Plattsburgh, SUNY Potsdam, SUNY Albany, SUNY Poly, SUNY Oswego
- Clarkson University
- Siena College
- LeMoyne College
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Syracuse University
- University of Vermont
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0630)
Semester I Credits
|ACCT 101||Foundations of Financial Accounting1||4|
|CITA 110||Introduction to Information Technology||3|
|ECON 101||Macroeconomics (GER 7)||3|
|ENGL 101||Composition and the Spoken Word (GER 1/2)||3|
|FYEP 101||First Year Experience||1|
Semester II Credits
|ACCT 102||Foundations of Managerial Accounting1||3|
|BSAD 200||Business Communications3||3|
|Natural Sciences and Quantitative Reasoning Elective (GER 5)||3|
Semester III Credits
|ACCT 300||Intermediate Accounting I||3|
|ACCT 306||Cost Accounting||3|
|BSAD 201||Business Law I||3|
|DEISJ Elective (GER 3)||3|
Semester IV Credits
Program Electives: Courses in ACCT, BSAD, ECON, FSMA, and LEST
GER= General Education Requirement; students may take no more than one course per GER category
1 Lowest acceptable grade 2.0.
2 Lowest acceptable level: Intermediate Algebra (MATH 106)
3 Fulfills writing intensive requirement.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required to remain in this program.
Review the Index of Course Descriptions
The School of Business and Liberal Arts at The State University of New York - Canton has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11960 Quivira Road, Suite 300, Overland Park, KS, 66213. Click here for a list of all accredited programs.
Nadine Samuels, Ph.D., CPA
MacArthur Hall 528