SUNY Canton Steel Bridge Team Lands Top Ten Finish in National Championships
The SUNY Canton Steel Bridge team locked in a ninth-place finish at the 2019 American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) National Competition.
Students from the college’s Canino School of Engineering Technology traveled with faculty members to compete Friday, May 1, at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.
“We competed against the best teams in the United States and performed near flawlessly,” said Paul D. Hitchman, an instructional support associate and faculty adviser for the student-run team. “I’m proud of our students’ genuine ingenuity with this year’s bridge.”
The team placed 3rd in Construction Speed, 3rd in Stiffness, 6th in Economy, 12th in Efficiency, 22nd in Aesthetics, and 29th in Lightness out of 41 competitors. “We are counting this as a solid victory,” Hitchman said.
Student competitors included:
- Chase D. Boyer, a Civil and Environmental Engineering Technology major from Alex Bay.
- Josh Glosenger, a Civil and Environmental Engineering Technology major from Endicott.
- Dale R. Harris, a Civil and Environmental Engineering Technology major from Dundee.
- Daniel Olin, a Civil and Environmental Engineering Technology major from Canton.
- Stephen J. Schermerhorn, a Civil and Environmental Engineering Technology major from Cicero.
- Bromlen E. Steinburg, a Civil and Environmental Engineering Technology major from Madrid.
- Benjamin York, a Mechanical Engineering Technology major from Auburn
SUNY Canton is scheduled to host the 2020 AISC Upstate New York Regional Student Steel Bridge Competition next spring.
As Northern New York's premier college for career-driven bachelor's degrees, associate degrees and professional certificate programs, SUNY Canton delivers quality hands-on programs in engineering technology, management, and healthcare fields. It is home to the Center for Criminal Justice, Intelligence and Cybersecurity. Faculty members are noted for their professional real-world experience in addition to outstanding academic credentials. As SUNY's leader in online education, SUNY Canton OnLine offers hundreds of flexible and convenient courses as well as 23 online degree programs. The SUNY Canton Kangaroos 15 traditional athletic teams compete at the NCAA Division III level as part of the North Atlantic Conference. SUNY Canton also features varsity esports and cheerleading.