Veterinary Science Technology - Program Description
Admissions is selective and is based on academic credentials. In order to be considered for admissions a student must possess the following:
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Admission is selective and is based on academic credentials and rubric score.
- A cumulative high school average of 75 or better
- Biology Regents exam with 75 or better
- Chemistry Regents exam with 65 or better
- Two high school Regents math courses with a grade of 75 or better on the second NYS Regents mathematics examination.
- Equivalent college level course work: Intermediate Algebra, Introduction to Biology and Introduction to Chemistry all with a final grade of C or higher and an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Non New York high school graduate transcripts will be evaluated by the admissions staff for leveling purposes.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a personal statement of 300 words or less detailing their related experience and their reasons for applying to the veterinary technology program.
- Technical Standards Required for Admission to Veterinary Technology
- Pre-exposure rabies vaccination is required of all students. This is administered in a series of two vaccinations and must be completed prior to entering Fundamental Skills II (VSCT 115)
- Rabies Letter
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0521)
Semester I Credits
|BIOL 150||College Biology I (GER 5)||4|
|CHEM 150||College Chemistry I||4|
|ENGL 101||Composition and the Spoken Word (GER 1/2)||3|
|FYEP 101||First Year Experience||1|
|VSCT 101||Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills I||2|
|VSCT 103||Introduction to Animal Agriculture||2|
Semester II Credits
|BIOL 209||Microbiology (GER 5)||4|
|VSCT 104||Veterinary Office Procedures||1|
|VSCT 112||Veterinary Clinical Pathology I||3|
|VSCT 114||Animal Anatomy & Physiology||3|
|VSCT 115||Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills II||2|
|VSCT 201||Veterinary Technology Preceptorship I||1|
|VSCT 212||Research Animal Techniques||1|
|Liberal Arts Elective (GER 1,4,5,6,7,8 or 9)||3|
Semester III Credits
Semester IV Credits
* Fulfills writing intensive requirement.
** Students in the Veterinary Science Technology, AAS program are required to earn a C or better in all VSCT courses taken for credit in the program. Students who do not receive a grade of C or better in any of these courses will not be allowed to continue in the program. Students not allowed to continue in the program will have to change their majors and then apply for readmission to the program for the following year if they still want to pursue this major after receiving a grade less than C. Readmission to the program is selective and not guaranteed. The course may be taken for a third time, but not until a period of 5 years has elapsed.
** Of the courses with the VSCT prefix, any course may only be repeated one time.
** The NYS Education Department Office of the Professions requires persons applying for licensure to answer questions related to a conviction or a crime or professional misconduct.
** Students must complete SUNY Canton’s VSCT 211 and at least 9 other hours of graded course work with a VSCT prefix in order to meet the program’s residency requirement.
Newell Vet Tech Center 101A
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617