Home > SHCJ > Practical Nursing
Practical Nursing - Certificate
The SUNY Canton Practical Nursing Certificate program is based upon the beliefs that:
The Practical Nursing Program combines general education courses and nursing courses that allow students to complete their education in one year and be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN licensing exam. Classroom lectures, laboratory sessions and clinical practicums in area hospitals, long term care facilities and community health agencies are offered over two semesters.
Education is viewed as a mentoring relationship based on mutual respect and understanding that recognizes the diverse needs of the learner and empowers the learner to achieve their highest level of potential. Graduates earn a Certificate in Practical Nursing and are eligible to become Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Practical Nursing Program Handbook
- Admission Requirements
- Technical Standards Required for Admission
- Please do not purchase Google Chromebook computers for the program. Unfortunately they do not work with our software.
Employment statistics are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020-2030 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Graduates gain employment in:
- Clinics and Physician Offices
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Hospice and Home Health Care agencies
- Psychiatric and Mental Health Units
*Gainful Employment Program Disclosure
The Practical nursing program at State University of New York College of Technology at Canton located in Canton, New York is accredited by the:
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the Practical nursing program is Continuing Accreditation with Conditions.
View the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program.
- Registered by the NYS Education Department, Office of the Professions.
State Education Building - 2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234
Minimum Technology Requirements
- Access to a working computer with internet capability.
- Hardwire connections are recommended over wireless for assessments (tests/quizzes). Other connections (Wi-Fi, 4G/5G) may not be as reliable when taking exams or quizzes online.
- Technology Requirements for Online Learning
» Admission Requirements
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0938)
Semester I Credits
|LPNC 100||Drug Dosage Calculations & Pharmacology*||3|
|LPNC 101||PN Fundamentals*||8|
|BIOL 217||Human Anatomy & Physiology I** (GER 2)||4|
|ENGL 101||Composition and the Spoken Word** (GER 10)||3|
Semester II Credits
|LPNC 102||Practical Nursing - Specialty Populations*||3|
|LPNC 103||PN Medical-Surgical Nursing*||8|
|BIOL 218||Human Anatomy & Physiology II**||4|
|PSYC 101||Introduction to Psychology** (GER 3)||3|
*A grade of C+ or better is required for successful completion of all Nursing courses.
**A grade of C or better in all co-requisite courses.
Students must complete all LPNC courses with a minimal grade of C+ in order to graduate and corequisite courses with a grade of C or better.
Once enrolled in LPNC 101, students must complete the program within 1 year. For extraordinary circumstances, permission to complete the program beyond four years must be granted by the Dean of the School of Science, Health, and Criminal Justice in consultation with the Nursing Department Director or Curriculum Coordinator.
- GPA of 2.0 or better is required to continue in the program. Of the two clinical practical nursing courses (LPNC 101, LPNC 103), only one may be repeated one time.
- Students will complete clinical experiences in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and community agencies throughout Northern New York.
- Clinical hours may include day, evening, and weekend hours.
- The college does not provide transportation to clinical sites.
- Residency Requirements: Students must complete SUNY Canton's LPNC 102 and LPNC 103 in order to complete the program residency requirements.
- Enrolled students are required to purchase a standardized testing program.
- A tablet or laptop computer is required.
- CPR certification (Health Provider Status) is required prior to admission and throughout the program.
Review the Index of Course Descriptions
Office of Admissions
Wicks Hall 021
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
(315) 386-7123 or
Fax: (315) 386-7929