Financial Aid for Winterterm
It may be possible for some students to use financial aid for Winterterm. A student must meet the following basic requirements to be eligible to help cover Winterterm costs:
- Matriculated in a degree program at SUNY Canton for Fall and Spring semesters.
- Meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements at the end of the Fall semester.
- Have a valid completed FAFSA on file with SUNY Canton.
- Preschedule/enrolled for Spring courses. If you decide later to not attend the Spring term, then you are responsible for paying all Winterterm charges.
It is important to note that if a student is already receiving their full federal grant and loan eligibility for the academic year, there may be no additional eligibility available for Winterterm.
For Winterterm Financial Aid Assistance
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to plan for your Winterterm and Spring term coursework and obtain your registration codes for each term.
- Schedule your Winterterm coursework through your UCanWeb account and complete the Winterterm billing survey. Review the Winter Billing Instructions for details.
- Complete the Spring billing survey in UCanWeb then schedule your Spring coursework. Review the Spring Billing Instructions for details (unless you are graduating after Winterterm).
- Financial Aid Staff will review your eligibility for financial aid depending on your billing survey answers and send notification to your SUNY Canton email.
Be sure to watch your SUNY Canton email for updates! Your Winterterm registration will NOT be official until your bill has been paid and/or covered by financial aid.
Types of Aid for Consideration
Federal Pell Grant – if you are eligible for a Pell Grant, it will automatically be reviewed for additional Winterterm eligibility, even if you pay for your Winterterm charges. Typically, full time students are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant during the Winterterm.
Federal Student Loans – if adding Winterterm costs to your budget results in additional loan eligibility we will only process it upon written request. Watch your SUNY Canton email for notification of increased eligibility, a response will be required to process any loan increase.
NYS TAP Grant – There is no eligibility for this program for the Winterterm.
External Agencies – Please make sure you notify the external agency and/or your specific counselor (ACCES-VR, Vet Rehab, etc.) so they are aware you plan to take Winterterm coursework so they can notify us of any additional eligibility you may have.
- Additional aid eligibility for Winterterm will be disbursed as part of your Spring disbursements beginning the fifth week of the Spring semester. There are NO refunds issued during Winterterm.
- There is an annual maximum that you can receive for each type of federal aid. If you are already receiving maximum aid for the Spring semester, there would be no additional eligibility available for Winterterm.
- If you are found to not be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) after the Fall semester and Winterterm has already begun, you will be responsible for any charges.
Further information on what coursework is available and steps for non-degree students can be found on the Winterterm website.
Miller Campus Center - 1st Floor
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Tel: (315) 386-7616
Fax: (315) 386-7930
Regular Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
8:00 am-4:30 pm
Summer/Vacation Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
8:00 am-4:00 pm